The speed of your metabolism refers to rate at which you are able to quickly and efficiently break down nutrients from the food you eat, and use this for energy. Some people with a slow metabolism may say that they gain weight easier, whilst those with a fast metabolism seem to eat and eat and never gain weight. The three main factors that effect our metabolism are:
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR); the amount of energy needed to fuel the bodily functions when resting or awake.
The Thermic Effect of Food (TEF); the amount of energy required to breakdown and digest the foods we eat.
The Thermic Effect of Activity (TEA); the rate at which your body burns calories as you are exercising or performing daily tasks, where the body is not resting.
People with slow/sluggish metabolisms tend to lack energy and put on weight more easily. But don’t you worry, it doesn’t mean you are stuck with this slow metabolism. There are many ways in which you can increase your metabolism and keep yourself feeling energized and healthy.
- Drink Water; drinking 6 cups of water every day is essential to kick start your metabolism. Drink a glass on rising to feel the benefits.
- Get Moving; Getting your body moving first thing in the morning is an effective method to boost your metabolism.
- Eat Breakfast; Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should never be skipped. After your body has been fasting overnight you need a substantial breakfast to break the fast and fuel your body.
- Build Muscle; The more muscle your body has, the more calories your body will burn.
- Get fit; Cardio training is the best way to raise your resting metabolic rate.