A Paleo diet is a diet based on the foods that our ancestors most likely consumed. It is more of a lifestyle rather than a diet, and is also referred to as the cave man diet as it has a a large ‘raw’ food focus. Paleo diets are high in protein, there is an increased consumption of red meat, seafood, fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, nuts and seeds. Carbohydrate consumption should decrease fiber consumption can be increase by consuming non-starchy fruits and vegetables.
Foods consumed in the Paleo diet are low GI and easily digested and absorbed by the body, this prevents any rapid increases in blood sugar levels.
- Reduction in salt and sugar intake
- High intake of vitamins, mineral, antioxidants
- Not eating any refined/processed foods
- Less environmental impact
- Protein leaves you feeling fuller for longer
- Less carbohydrates can lead to lower energy levels
- Cannot be Paleo If vegetarian due to the high meat intake
- Hard to exclude dairy, legumes and grains..
For nourishing, healthy and tasty Paleo recipes take a look at our SkinnyMe Weight loss Programs. We spent a year collaborating with experts in nutrition, naturopathy, personal training and yoga to bring you these quality and effective Programs which are easily incorporated into your daily routine and produce real results.