Everyone loves going on a holiday. That’s a fact. We come back more relaxed, happier and with a new lease on life. What’s not so good, is the few extra pounds that can come in tow. Gyros and wine, anyone? The good news is, however, it’s not inevitable to gain weight or lose track of your health goals when you’re traveling. It’s easy to stay healthy if you are willing to implement some very simple steps into your travel routine.
1. Bring healthy snacks and bottled water with you while traveling. This will prevent you from stopping for junk food at the service station if you’re travelling via car. It will also help you resist temptation if you are traveling in a plane where unhealthy (however tempting) snacks like cookies and soft drink are being served. Carry snacks like fruit and energy bars because they are easy to pack and carry.
2. Walk around as much as possible. Make frequent rest stops when you’re traveling by car. Get out and walk around the area for several minutes to stretch your legs and get your blood flowing. You can also walk on an airplane. Get up once or twice and walk up and down the aisle.
3. Get enough rest. You may be prone to snack when you’re tired, so prevent this by getting enough sleep. Stop at a motel to rest when you’re traveling by car. Bring a neck pillow and portable music player to help you sleep on an airplane. Once you get to your destination, continue to work in enough time to get the sleep you need.
4. Schedule time for exercise. Whether you are on vacation or a business trip, block out time in your day to get some type of exercise. If you’re staying in a hotel with a fitness room or pool, use it for your workout. Otherwise, devote some time to walking or jogging or plan leisure activities that involve some kind of physical activity.
5. Make food choices carefully. You will most likely be eating restaurant meals when you are traveling. Make healthy choices, like salads with no dressing, lean meats and vegetable dishes without heavy sauces. Eat healthy snacks like fruit and nuts in between your meals so you won’t be tempted to buy unhealthy snacks.