Antioxidants have been the health food trend of 2015/16, so we know they are good for us but do we know why?
Antioxidants are naturally occurring compounds found in plants that have the ability to prevent and protect damage from free radicals. Free radicals are molecules produced by oxidative processes that are harmful to our body and in abundance can cause an inflammatory response. Inflammation is becoming widely accepted as a factor of many diet and health related diseases.
Plant foods are our richest source of naturally occurring antioxidants and enzymes that can minimize or repair the damage done to our cells from oxidative stress. Most superfoods are classified as superfoods not only for there high mineral and vitamin content but their ability to be a concentrated source or antioxidants.
Foods with a high antioxidant content
- Kidney beans
- Pinto beans
- Acai berries
List of 10 Essential Antioxidants for glowing skin, and where to get them:
- Allium Sulphur, found in leeks, onion, garlic
- Beta Carotene, found in pumpkin mangoes, apricots, carrot, spinach, parsley
- Catechins, found in red wine and tea
- Flavonoids, found in tea, dark chocolate, red wine, citrus fruits, apple, pomegranate
- Lycopene, found in tomatoes, pink grapefruit, watermelon
- Vitamin C, found in oranges, berries, kiwi, mangoes, broccoli, spinach, peppers
- Vitamin E, found in vegetable oils, nuts, avocados, seeds, whole grains
- Cryptoxanthins, found in red peppers, pumpkin, mangoes
- Indoles, found in cruciferous vegetables
- Anthocyanins, found in eggplant, grapes, berries
Our new and improved Acai tea blend is an energising blend with a delicious crisp and summery taste for a great pick-me-up in the afternoon (when you need that extra kick to help you get through the day). This infusion of superfruits including goji berries and acai will provide your body with antioxidants and vitamin C to help keep you feeling revitalised and refreshed.